About Me

My photo
Hey, it's Chelsy, with a Y! I am a wife to my sweet prince, and mother to one spunky little princess and one handsome little ham of a prince. Painting is my drug of choice. Wine is good too. I'm known to speak without thinking and eat to much chocolate. I love meeting new people, and learning new things. So this is my journey through some not so glorious moments, some not so intelligent thoughts and some possibly crafty ideas.

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

DIY Day--Height Chart

 I have been searching and searching everywhere for a growth chart for the little lady of the house, but haven't been able to find one. At least not one in our budget! So, I decided "I bet I could make one...mabybe!" And what better way to try something then with stuff you already have on hand?! That way if it doesn't work your not out anything. So here's what I did, and you can do it also, it was way easy. It was, however a little time consuming but it would be a perfect nap time project!

Here's what you need:
*Long piece of wood, I used a 1x6 (doesn't everyone have scrap wood laying around their house?!)
*Spray Paint
*Tape measure
*Paint Pen
*Modge Podge
*Stickers, flowers, rhinestones, ribbon, anything to add some character to it

(BTW- this is my first tutorial so please bear with me!)

Step One:
Spray paint your wood whatever color you like, I used white because.... well.... hmmm....I guess just because I like white! Then I sanded down the edges to make them a little rounded and sanded various parts of the board to look a little worn. (please ignore my ugly light switch and the awful lighting)


Step Two:

After your paint dries, take your tape measure and measure about 1 1/2inches in from the width of the board and make a mark. Then draw a straight line all the way down from that mark to the other end of the board. Then make your marks, I used a yard stick for this part because it laid flatter on the board. I marked every 1/4in., 1/2in. and 1in.


Step Three:
Take your paint pen and go over the lines you made with your pencil. If your that good, you can eliminate the pencil all together and just use your pen, but I am not that good!


Step Four:
While your paint is drying you can start working on your embellishments. I drew letters onto the back of scrapbook paper to spell out her name. You can also put your scrapbook paper in your printer and print off the letters onto the back, just click the "mirror image" button before you print. Our printer is out of ink (it seems like it is always out of ink), so I had to do it the old fashioned way! I cut out numbers, but they seemed too big to me, so I just used stickers instead. I  used some chip board pieces to give it a little definition.




Step 5:
Cover your whole board with a thick coat of modge podge and let dry. Then position your letters and numbers where you want them to make sure they look ok before you glue them. Once you have decided, glue them on and add another coat of modge podge.


Step 6:
And finally came the flower and ribbon because it looked like it needed a little somthin, somthin extra! Hang up your growth chart and measure your little weed! I used pink and green on mine because I had the perfect spot to hang it in her room. But you can do whatever colors you like and hang it anywhere, in the bathroom, the kitchen, the playroom! Be creative, I know you are :) I am going to link this to DIY Day over at "A Soft Place to Land" there are so many fun things over there, you should check it out!! Have a great Tuesday!



P.S. Remember I said this was "scrap wood" so it wasn't actually 6ft. It was only 4 1/2, so I made sure the "half was on the bottom and marked it 2ft. Then I measured 18in. from the floor up  and marked the wall to make sure that's where the bottom of the board went! I hope this little lady isn't 6ft tall one day, but if she is I will be prepared :)

P.S.S. Yessssss, the "a" is backwards, please don't judge me! I was so excited that it was all coming together and I got in too big of a hurry!


2 comments:

The Throne Family said...

Chelsy! It is soooo adorable! I want one for Owen!

Chelsy@ Sweet Pea Kisses said...

Ok! I would love to make him one! What color?