About Me

My photo
Hey, it's Chelsy, with a Y! I am a wife to my sweet prince, and mother to one spunky little princess and one handsome little ham of a prince. Painting is my drug of choice. Wine is good too. I'm known to speak without thinking and eat to much chocolate. I love meeting new people, and learning new things. So this is my journey through some not so glorious moments, some not so intelligent thoughts and some possibly crafty ideas.

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.
Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The ULTIMATE Hair Bow Tutorial

I have literally had this post in my drafts for over a year. I. KNOW. I have craft shame. It's one of those things that you just do without thinking about and then realize that other people might like to know how ya do whatcha do. So here goes part one of my series, I'm going to try to post a new hair bow tutorial at least once a week until I run out of different types.

This first bow is probably known to most of you a "Boutique" bow, but I think the way I do mine is different than the right way. Hey, that's me....always gotta be the odd ball! (Please excuse these bad iPhone pics. My birthday is in March, can you guess what's at the top of my list? ;)


You likey? Want one? Or ten? Here's what you do:

First, gather your supplies.

 You will need some-
*Ribbon (I used grossgrain 1.5in. I find it the easiest to work with, but any kind will work)
*Needle and thread
*Lighter or fray check
*Yard stick
*Hair clip
*3in of 3/8in coordinating ribbon
*3in of 5/8 or 7/8 in coordinating ribbon
*Hot glue
*Scissors
*Straight pin
 Now that you have all your goodies gathered, take your 1.5in ribbon and cut (2) 12in pieces.

Take one piece and make a circle and do a running stitch through it.

Then make a crease in the middle of your ribbon.. Make sense? Here's a pic, I hope that helps.

I'm right handed, so if your not then do the exact opposite of everything I'm about to tell you! With your left hand holding the ribbon, take your right hand and twist the crease around until it's parallel with the ribbon, making a figure 8. It should look something like this:
Then do a running stitch through the middle and pull it tight. Wrap your thread around a couple of times and tie it off.  (Sorry I didn't get a picture of this step.)

Do the exact same thing with your other 12in piece of ribbon.

When you have 2 figure 8's all you do is tie them together. I used wire so you could see it, but thread will hold it just fine.

Then take your 3in piece of 5/8 or 7/8 in ribbon (I used 7/8in) and tie it in a knot like so:

Place the center of the knot on the front of your bow and glue it around the bow. Take your 3/8 in ribbon and glue it around your clip. Sorry I didn't get pictures of this step either, but if you've made any sort of hair clip before then you already know this step. If not, email me and I will send you instructions :)

After everything is done you should have this little cutie to show off!

Now all you need is a little princess to attach your bow to! I have one out for loan if you need her! ;)

Stay tuned for Pinwheel bows and double boutique bows coming at the end of the week :)

Linking to these fab parties:
All Things Heart and Home

Make it Yours @ My Backyard Eden

4 comments:

Jennifer Dawn said...

Very cute! It looks so easy to make too! I will have to give it a whirl.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting! They are adorable! I'm going to give it a try!

Anonymous said...

i made one or my little princess turned out great thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! Already whipped one up and can't wait to hit Hobby Lobby for more ribbon! :0)