About Me

My photo
Hey, it's Chelsy, with a Y! I am a wife to my sweet prince, and mother to one spunky little princess and one handsome little ham of a prince. Painting is my drug of choice. Wine is good too. I'm known to speak without thinking and eat to much chocolate. I love meeting new people, and learning new things. So this is my journey through some not so glorious moments, some not so intelligent thoughts and some possibly crafty ideas.

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.
Powered By Blogger

Friday, November 19, 2010

Toddler Turkeys

So, I know the "turkey hands" are everywhere in blog land. However this particular technique was new to me so I thought I would share just in case I'm not the only one out there living under a rock! Have you people ever seen these fabric crayons? All you do is color whatever you want onto a piece of paper, then iron it on to your fabric. I am just amazed! This was the perfect craft for toddlers, and moms who need a couple of quiet minutes:)

I'm not going to give a whole big tutorial on these, but basically you trace your childs hand, let them color it, try to resist the OCD in you to make them color in the lines, and then iron it onto whatever you choose. In our case, we ironed them onto white fabric and then I stitched them onto their t-shirts. (I used embroidery floss and hand stitched everything, but you can use your sewing machine, or if you want to hand stich them, but don't have embroidery floss just double or triple your thread to make it thicker.) Taylor and her cousin Owen had alot of fun "coloring". The only drawback I have found is that you have to hand wash the fabric that you use. So I wouldn't suggest doing this on something your child wears often, unless of course you love to hand wash laundry, I don't. I took a bunch blurry pictures, so hopefully that will help.
 (I am just amazed by the difference in these two hands! I can't figure out if Taylor has little hands, or Jaxon has really big hands. The one on top is a almost three year old, and the bottom one is a four month old!)


 Sorry, I know it's hard to see on the white fabric.
My iron was set to medium-high (5-6) and it takes a while to transfer, so be patient. If you can resist the urge to lift the paper and admire your child's handy work that would be best. But if not, just be careful not to move the paper around.

Cousin Owen colored his hand too!
Here they are on the shirts, obviously Taylors isn't finished, but I wanted to show it to you anyway.


To cute!

So, am I really that far out of the loop, or is this technique new to you to? I hope you try this with the kiddo's, it really was alot of fun!

Happy Friday,

Linking to:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute! What a fun way to preserve your kids coloring/drawing! Great idea!

Cammie said...

I love this! I did the freezer paper stencil for Austin's turkey Hand shirt, but I didn't know about the fabric crayons! How cool, I'll have to go get some :) Thanks for the tip!